Grab your mittens and celebrate winter in Barrie this weekend! The City of Barrie’s annual Winterfest & Festival of Ice, one of the Top 100 Festivals in Ontario, runs February 2nd & 3rd. Celebrate the season with outdoor and indoor fun for all ages in Heritage Park, Memorial Square, and throughout downtown Barrie. Amazing outdoor activities include horse-drawn wagon rides, midway, lumberjack shows, ice mace, snow slide, bodyzorbs, helicopter rides, and so much more. The Festival of Ice features spectacular three hundred pound blocks of ice carved into beautiful ice sculptures – this year’s theme brings classic childhood games to life. Check out the sculptures at night with a special showing until 9:00pm on Saturday.
Other weekend activities not to be missed:
· City Aquatics and Fire & Emergency Services host Barrie’s great Polar Bear Swim on Sunday, 12:00pm at Centennial Beach. No pre-registration required – just show up ready to take the plunge! Spectators welcome.
· Start your weekend with the Winterfest Pancake Breakfast and Bake Sale at Central United Church.
· The Grey Cup will make a very special appearance on Saturday from 10:00am to 2:00pm. Stop by and take your picture with the Cup!
· Take the BeaverTail eating challenge! Barrie’s downtown store will be on-site with three contests daily – first come, first served.
· Go skating for only $1 per person at many of Barrie’s arenas at designated times.
· Stop by the Barrie Farmers’ Market, Barrie Public Library, MacLaren Art Centre, Grey & Simcoe Foresters Museum, and many more downtown locations for fun activities to get you out of the cold.
· On Saturday afternoon, the Mady Centre for the Performing Arts will feature a line-up of family fun entertainment.
· Enjoy other great community events throughout the weekend, including the February Blues Festival, Easter Seals Chili Fest, Soup’s On! for the Heart & Stroke Foundation, and the Reel Stories weekend film festival.
For all of the details, visit the City of Barrie’s website at http://www.barrie.ca/CULTURE/FESTIVALS/Pages/Winterfest.aspx.